Table of Contents

London For Foreigners – A Great Place to Work

The UK is a great place to work for foreigners, especially if you’re a fluent English speaker. You can teach English in British schools through a Modern Language Assistant program or work for an American company with offices in London.

Always do your research about a company before going for an interview. Be prepared for questions about the culture and company practices.

International Schools

As the capital of a global, multicultural city, London has a wide variety of international schools. Although it’s not the only place where such schools exist, it is a good bet for expat families to find an international school in London.

These schools cater to specific nationalities and often have an international slant in their curriculum. In some cases, they also prepare students for education in their home countries upon return to their home country.

Many of these schools are not government-funded and can cost upwards of PS20,000 per year. However, there are bursaries and scholarships available that can help ease the burden of these costs. Some companies even pay for their employees’ children’s tuition fees at these schools. Students can also consider boarding schools that offer an international curriculum and a more affordable option. This will allow students to immerse themselves in the culture of their new host country. This is a great way for students to learn about other cultures while still being able to access the educational opportunities of their own home country.


London is a major centre for international business and commerce. It has a very diverse economy and many opportunities in skilled sectors like finance, IT, creative and media, scientific and technical, hospitality and tourism.

The capital’s bustling work environment can be found in everything from trendy co-working spaces to upscale offices or the fancy headquarters of world-famous companies. There are also a number of not-for-profit organisations, charities and community businesses that hire foreign workers to help out with administration or other tasks.

To find a job in the UK, you can start by looking at online newspapers or magazines. The free daily Metro (sales, engineering, secretarial, accountancy and health jobs) and the Evening Standard (building, hotels, catering and sales jobs) are a good place to start. Other good resources include the recruitment site Reed, CV-Library and WikiJob. When applying, make sure you have a well-written CV and cover letter. You’ll also need to get your visa sorted before moving to the UK, so it’s best to do this early on in your search

Living Wage

The UK government has set a minimum wage per hour that must be paid to all employees and workers in the country. This rate is revised and updated every year.

Casual workers, such as interns or assistants, may not get the minimum wage. However, a number of employers have chosen to pay the London living wage, which is calculated annually by the Resolution Foundation. This is an independent calculation based on public consultations asking groups what they need to live.

While most companies abide by the UK labour laws and minimum wage rules, some try to cheat their employees. If you find a company that doesn’t pay its employees the minimum wage, you can report them to Her Majesty’s Revenue and Customs (HMRC). The maximum penalty for businesses is GBP 20,000 per employee. This is in addition to the fines they could receive for not paying their employees. You can also apply for a claim for back-payment if you were employed before the pandemic.


UK visa requirements depend on your situation and the type of work you plan to do in the country. Most visas require that you have a job offer to apply. Those that don’t have a job offer can only apply for a short-term visa or student visa.

The UK recently changed its immigration system to a point-based system, which requires a specific skill set to qualify for a skilled worker visa. This includes proving that you have the skills to do the job and that there is a shortage of workers in your field.

Some students come to the UK on short-term work or study visas and can only do part-time jobs in the city. This is a great way to get experience and learn more about the culture. However, these types of visas don’t allow you to access public funds, such as unemployment benefits. You’ll need to have other income to pay for living expenses while in the UK.



Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *